Thursday, September 3, 2009

Dance your spirit!

Share/Save/Bookmark

Sharing with you a couple of wonderful quotes from Judith Jamison's autobiography, Dancing Spirit:

"You have to be desperate, as though you were catching your breath. Dance has to be that way to you.... You want to eat life, so you have to be famished all the time, not physically, but in wanting to know and in wanting to absorb and in exploring and stepping out over the edge, sometimes by yourself."

"If you lose the step, turn inside. When you get lost, focus. Believe that the gift is in you. Accept it. If there are mistakes, so be it. God is in you. Let your light shine...."

3 comments:

clyde forth said...

Yes, yes, yes! This is how it feels. This why we do it, why we obsess and continue!

I'm not always as good at looking inward, but a healer once told me that I 'communicate' with my deceased grandmother (as well as the audience) when I dance. When I am diving deep I feel that is true.

Eva Yaa Asantewaa said...

At their best, artists go beyond themselves and, well, just beyond!

wpbartcritic said...

I understand this comment-look at the dervishes...they wind up, go inside and commune with God, spirit.